QUESTIONS & ANSWERSAsk a Question
Hello, your chart with mat and frame dimensions is misleading and confusing. The starred columns confuse at best. Before I spend 400-600 dollars I would like to be sure of the coverage. What are the 8x10 dimensions for : print, print with frame, print & mat only, and print & mat with frame
Thanks for your question and for your interest in our products. Here we go:
The 8x10 print alone is 8x10, with the caveat that we print it on 8.5x11 paper for ease of handling. If you want to use it in an 8x10 frame without a mat, you will need to trim 1/2" from the top and bottom and 1/4" from each side. If you're going to mat it, the extra paper doesn't matter because it's hidden behind the mat. Just center the print in the opening and tape it down.
An 8x10 print in one of our 8x10 frames without a mat has outside dimensions of 10x12, give or take a quarter inch, depending on which frame molding you choose. These are all classed as 8x10 frames, meaning that the opening in the frame is 8x10. What determines the finished outside dimensions is the width of the molding. All the ones we sell are approximately 1" wide, which adds 2" in width and 2" in height to the finished size. If you buy your own 8x10 frames, they can be any width at all, from 1/2 inch to 4 or 5 inches. That changes the outside finished dimensions but still has the same opening size of 8x10.
A matted 8x10 print from us will be in an 11x14 mat which will fit any frame classed as an 11x14, regardless of the width of its molding. You can also buy just the 8x10 print and have a mat custom cut to any outside dimensions you wish to go in a bigger frame.
A matted and framed 8x10 print from us will be in an 11x14 frame. Again, that's the size of the opening in the frame, not the outside dimensions. Our moldings are all still approximately 1" wide, so adding 2" to each dimension will give you outside dimensions of 13x15 give or take a quarter inch.
I really hope this makes things clearer. If not, please call us and we'll try to help.
Our botanical and bird prints each come in three sizes: 5x7, 8x10, and 11x14. Our fish prints also come in 3 sizes, but slightly different: 6x9, 9x12, and 12x16.
These prints are all available plain, matted, and framed with or without mats, with the exception that 5x7 and 6x9 are not available framed without mats.
About Frame Sizes
Frames are designated and referred to by the size of their opening, NOT by their outside dimensions. This is the industry convention and makes standardizing frames easier. An 8x10 frame is an 8x10 frame is an 8x10 frame, regardless of whether the frame molding is half an inch wide or 3" wide. Any frame described as an 8x10 has an opening sized to fit an 8x10 print or photo perfectly.
*Add 2" to each number to calculate outside frame dimensions for our frames. If using your own frame, add 2x its molding width to each number.
How much Wall Space?
To know the true amount of wall space a framed print will occupy, you must add the width of the frame molding on all sides to the standard designated size of the frame. The molding width of all the frames we sell is approximately 1". Therefore, you must add 2" (1" left and right, 1" top and bottom) to each dimension to get the finished size: 8x10 is really 10x12, 11x14 is really 13x16, 16x20 is really 18x22, etc.
Standard Sizes: 5x7, 8x10, 11x14 print sizes. Order just the prints and have them matted and/or framed.
- Restoration Process: In getting a quality image, we repair blemishes, and enliven faded colors on scanned images. Having a coordinated look to a set of prints is also important. As part of the restoration process, we additionally remove the background coloring and redo the captions in consistent fonts and point sizes.
- Quality Printing Process: We print all images on the same paper for a consistent background color and texture. Many low-quality prints on the market are not printed with fade and water-resistant inks and are printed on low quality paper. They can quickly fade, smudge, and lose color accuracy. Ours do not.
- Exceptional Service: Our service is exceptional. We’re happy to help customers choose coordinating and complimentary prints, and to discuss custom needs.
- Learn the tips & tricks to hang pictures like a pro.
- 3 design rules when hanging art above your couch
- IKEA Ideas: How to hang pictures for a foolproof finish